REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Protect the tailgate and surrounding trim and painted areas using cardboard and masking tape. A thick masking tape is available at local body and paint supply stores. Cover and protect any corners, sharp edges or protruding objects.
- Support the tailgate, by placing a floor jack and a piece of wood underneath the tailgate.
- Remove the bolts from the tailgate stop arm.
- Remove the tailgate interior trim panel, disconnect the wiring connectors, and guide clips.
- Remove the wiring harness from the tailgate frame. If necessary, use tape to keep the wiring pulled aside.
- Inspect and make sure all applicable wiring connectors are disconnected and removed.
- Matchmark the location of the hinges on the tailgate and/or vehicle frame.
- Remove the hinge bolts and remove the tailgate assembly.
If necessary, make shims out of scrap sheet metal, paint stirring sticks or cardboard and tape in place with masking tape to the area to be aligned or shimmed.
- Position the tailgate into place and finger tighten the hinge bolts.
- Align the tailgate with the hinge marks made earlier and tighten the bolts.
- Attach the wiring connectors.
- Attach the tailgate stop arm.
- Remove the supporting jack.
- Install the tailgate interior trim panel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.