Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the intake manifold cover.
- Remove the four ignition coils, as outlined in the Engine Electrical Section.
- Remove the bolt (A) securing the power steering hose bracket.
Remove the dipstick (B) and breather hose (C).
- Remove the retainers and the cylinder head cover.
- Thoroughly clean the head cover gasket and the groove.
- Install the head cover gasket in the groove of the cylinder head cover.
- Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and dry.
Apply liquid gasket, P/N 08718-0009, on the chain case and the No. 5 rocker shaft holder mating areas.
WARNINGDo not install the parts if 4 minutes or more have elapsed since applying liquid gasket. Instead, reapply liquid gasket after removing the old residue.
- Set the spark plug seals (A) on the spark plug tubes. Once the cylinder head cover (B) is on the cylinder head, slide the cover slightly back and forth to seat the head cover gasket.
Inspect the cover washers (C). Replace any washer that is damaged or deteriorated.
Tighten the bolts in two or three steps. In the final step, tighten all bolts, in sequence, to 7.2 ft. lbs. (9.8 Nm).
- Install the dipstick and breather hose.
- Tighten the bolt securing the power steering hose bracket.
- Install the four ignition coils.
- Check that all tubes, hoses, and connectors are installed correctly.
- Install the intake manifold cover. Tighten the retainers to 8.7 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- After assembly, wait at least 30 minutes before filling the engine with oil.