Removal & Installation
- Using a suitable sized chisel, lift the lock tab of the front axle spindle nut from the groove in the spindle.
- Loosen and remove the front axle spindle nut.
- Loosen the wheel lug nuts 1 / 2 turn.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire/wheel assembly.
- Remove the brake hose and caliper mounting bolts and place the caliper assembly aside supported by mechanic-s wire to prevent the hydraulic hose from being damaged.
- Remove the ABS wheel sensor bolts and remove the wheel sensor.
- Remove the cotter key from the tie rod end spindle, and remove the castle nut, then using a tie rod end removal tool, remove the tie rod end from the knuckle.
- Remove the cotter key from the lower ball joint spindle, then loosen and remove the castle nut and release the ball joint from the lower control arm.
- Remove the cotter key from the upper ball joint spindle, then loosen and remove the castle nut and release the ball joint from the upper control arm.
- Pull the knuckle away from the vehicle. If necessary, use a plastic hammer to tap on the spindle to help release it from the hub splines.
- Using a hydraulic press and suitable press tools, remove the front hub/bearing assembly.
Remove the splash guard.
NOTECarefully inspect the lug bolt studs. If they have been damaged, replace them while the hub is removed from the knuckle.
- Install the splash guard.
- Install the wheel bearing, snapring and hub.
The balance of installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, making note of the following points and specifications:
Upper ball joint torque: 29-35 ft. lbs. (39-47 Nm), install using a new cotter pin
Refer to the Wheel Hub & Bearing procedure.