Removal & Installation
The rear drum brake shoes serve as the parking brakes. Please refer to the rear drum brake shoe replacement procedures in this section.2002-06 Models
- Raise the rear of the vehicle, and support it with safety stands in the proper locations.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Release the parking brake, and remove the rear brake caliper and brake disc/drum.
- Disconnect and remove the upper brake spring.
- Disconnect and remove the lower brake spring.
- Remove the tension pins (A) by pushing the retainer springs (B) and turning the pins.
Remove the adjuster assembly (C) by moving forward brake shoe (D).
- Remove the rearward brake shoe by disconnecting the parking brake cable from the parking brake lever.
- Disconnect the rod spring (A), and remove the strut (B).
Remove the parking brake shoes (C).
Remove the U-clip (A), wave washer (B), parking brake lever (C), and pivot pin (D) from the brake shoe.
- Apply Molykote 44 MA grease to the sliding surface of the pivot pin (A), and insert the pin into the rearward brake shoe (B).
- Install the parking brake lever (C) and wave washer (D) on the pivot pin, and secure with a new U-clip (E).
- Install the wave washer with its convex side facing out.
Pinch the U-clip securely to prevent the pivot pin from coming out of the brake shoe.
Position the parking brake shoes (A), then hook the rod spring (B) on the strut (C) first with the spring end (D) pointing downward. Then hook the rod spring to the parking brake shoe, and install the strut on the parking brake shoes.
Apply Molykote 44 MA grease to the sliding surfaces (A), the opposite edges of the parking brake shoe (B), and the pivot of the parking brake lever (C) as shown. Wipe off any excess. Keep grease off the brake linings.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the parking brake lever. Apply silicone grease to the cable contact surface on the backing plate.
- Reinstall the tension pins (C) and retainer springs (D). Make sure the tension pin does not contact to the parking brake lever.
Clean the threaded portions of the clevis A, and coat the threads of the clevis with grease. Clean the sliding surface of the clevis B, and coat the sliding surface of the clevis B with grease. Install the clevis A and B on the adjuster (E) and shorten the clevis A by turning the adjuster.
- Position the brake shoe adjuster assembly (F) on the parking brake shoes.
- Reinstall the lower brake spring.
- Reinstall the upper brake spring.
- Install the rear brake disc/drum and rear brake caliper.
- Do the major adjustment for the parking brake.