Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section. Also see the IMA system disabling before proceeding with any procedure.
Make sure you have the anti-theft code for the radio and the radio presets.
CAUTIONThese vehicles may be equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS.
Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait for 3 minutes to disable the SRS.
NOTEYou will need a suitable trim tool set when removing the instrument panel, to avoid damaging the components when prying them. Be careful not the scratch the dashboard and other components.
- Remove the instrument panel with the heater control panel, as shown in the accompanying figure.
Remove the self-tapping screws and the heater/climate control panel (A) from the instrument panel (B).
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, noting the following:
- Be sure to install the short black self-tapping screw in the position shown. If a longer screw is used, it will damage the instrument panel.
- After installing, make sure the control panel controls operate properly.
When installing the instrument panel, replace any damaged clips, attach the connectors properly and push the clips securely into place.
NOTEThe ECM idle learn procedure must be performed anytime you disconnect the battery, replace the ECM or detach any of its connectors, replace or clean the throttle body, remove fuses or adjust the idle speed.
Perform the ECM idle learn procedure, as follows:
- Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, rear defogger, lights, etc.) are off.
- Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or the engine coolant temperature reaches 176-221°F (80-100°C).
Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed and with all electrical items off.
NOTEIf the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.
NOTEThe control panel has a self-diagnostic function.
Run the self-diagnostic function to make sure there are no problems in the system, as follows:
- Turn the ignition switch ON .
- Press the FAN UP button and then the FAN DOWN button. Continue to hold both buttons down.
If there are any abnormalities in the system, the DTC indicator will light up the segment (C, D, I, J, K, L, M or N) corresponding to the error. Then the DTC indicator will alternate every second between displaying 88 (all M or N). To decipher the meaning of the DTC, refer to the Engine Performance & Emission Controls Section. If there are no abnormalities, the segments will not light up.
- To cancel the diagnostic function, turn the ignition switch OFF .