Removal & Installation
These vehicles are equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. The system must be disarmed before performing service on, or around, system components, the steering column, instrument panel components, wiring and sensors. Failure to follow the safety precautions and the disarming procedure could result in accidental air bag deployment, possible injury and unnecessary system repairs. Refer to the Chassis Electrical Section for precautions.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section. Also see the IMA system disabling before proceeding with any procedure.
- Make sure you have the anti-theft codes for the radio and radio presets.
- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. Wait 3 minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing any service.
Align the front wheels straight ahead, then remove the driver-s side airbag from the steering wheel, as follows:
- Remove the access panel from the steering wheel, then disconnect the driver-s airbag 2P connector from the cable reel.
- Remove the cover from the steering wheel. Using a Torx® T30 bit, remove the two Torx® bolts and remove the driver-s airbag.
- Remove the steering wheel, as outlined in this section.
- Remove the steering column covers.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the switch.
- Remove the two screws, then pull out the switch.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.