Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section. Also see the IMA system disabling before proceeding with any procedure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine.
- Remove the cylinder head.
- Remove the idler pulley bracket mounting bolt.
- Remove the water pump.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley.
- On 2000-03 models, remove the engine oil cooler bypass hoses.
- Remove the oil pan.
- Remove the oil screen and oil pump assembly.
- Remove the timing chain.
- Remove the crankshaft sprocket.
- Remove the timing chain tensioning arm and chain guide.
Remove the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) pulser plate.
- Install the CKP sensor plate.
- Install the timing chain guide and tighten the bolt to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install the timing chain tensioning arm and tighten the bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Set the crankshaft sprocket so no. 1 piston is at TDC. Align the TDC mark (A) on the crankshaft pulser with the pointer (B) on the block.
- Align the timing chain colored link (A) with the punch mark (B) on the crankshaft sprocket.
- Clean and dry the oil pump mating surfaces.
Apply liquid gasket to the oil pump mating surface on the cylinder block and the bolt holes as shown.
- Install the dowel pins (A) and align the inner rotor with the crankshaft and install the oil pump (B) using new o-rings (C).
Install the oil screen (D) using a new gasket (E).
- Clean and dry the oil pan mating surfaces.
- Apply liquid gasket to the oil pan mating surface on the cylinder block and the bolt holes as shown.
Using new gaskets and o-rings, install the oil pan. Tighten the bolts in sequence as shown. Tighten M8 bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm). Tighten the M6 bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Lubricate the crankshaft pulley bolt with clean engine oil and install the pulley. Tighten the bolt to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm), plus an additional 90°.
Install or connect the following:
On 2000-03 models, the engine oil cooler bypass hoses