Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section. Also see the IMA system disabling before proceeding with any procedure.
If the IMA battery level gauge (BAT) displays no segments:
- Remove the No. 15 (40A) fuse from the under hood relay box.
- Start the engine and hold it between 3,500-4,000 rpm without load (in Park or Neutral) until the BAT displays at least three segments.
- Install the No. 15 fuse.
- If the A/C compressor is still working, run the engine at idle and let the A/C work for a few minutes, then shut the engine off.
- Recover the refrigerant with a proper recovery/recycling/charging station, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Remove the splash shield.
- Remove the water pump/A/C compressor belt, as outlined in the Engine Mechanical Section.
- Remove the bolts, then disconnect the suction line and discharge line from the A/C compressor. Plug or cap the lines immediately after disconnecting them to avoid moisture and dust contamination.
- Disconnect the A/C compressor clutch connector, then remove the mounting bolts and the A/C compressor.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, noting the following:
- Tighten the A/C compressor mounting bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- If you are installing a new compressor, you must calculate the amount of refrigerant oil to be removed from it.
- Use new O-rings and coat them with a film of refrigerant before installing them.
- Use the proper type of refrigerant.
- To avoid contamination, do not return the oil to the container once it has been dispensed. Also, never mix it with other oils.
- Always cap the refrigerant container immediately after using to avoid moisture from being absorbed.
- Do not spill refrigerant oil on the vehicle-s painted surfaces, as it may damage the paint.
- Adjust the water pump-A/C compressor belt, as outlined in the Engine Mechanical Section.
- Charge the A/C system, as outlined earlier in this section.
Perform the ECM idle learn procedure, as follows:
- Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, rear defogger, lights, etc.) are off.
- Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or the engine coolant temperature reaches 176-221°F (80-100°C).
Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed and with all electrical items off.
NOTEIf the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.