Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section. Also see the IMA system disabling before proceeding with any procedure.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative and then positive battery cable
Install or connect the following:
Starter motor. Tighten the bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
- Remove the No. 15 (40A) fuse from the under hood relay box.
- Start the engine and run at 3500 rpm for 10 minutes.
- Check that the battery module indicator reads full.
- Install the No. 15 fuse.
Starter Performance Test
- Disconnect the wire from the S terminal.
- Make the connections as shown using as heavy a wire as possible (preferably equivalent to the wire used for the vehicle). To avoid damaging the starter, never leave the battery connected for more than 10 seconds.
Connect the battery as shown. If the starter pinion moves out, it is working properly.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the starter as shown. If the pinion retracts immediately, it is working properly.
Clamp the starter firmly in a vise.