- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section. Also see the IMA system disabling before proceeding with any procedure.
- Make sure you have the anti-theft codes for the radio and radio presets.
- Disconnect the negative, then positive battery cables, then remove the battery.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the battery box and front damper base beam.
- Unbend the locking tabs (A) on the stop plate (B).
Separate the tie rods (C) from the gearbox by removing the 12mm bolts (D), the stop plate, the tie rod plate (E) and the seal washers.
Remove the cotter pin (A) from the 10mm nut (B) and loosen the nut.
- Separate the tie rod ball joint and damper using the special tool
- Remove the tie rods.
There are two types of tie rod arm; one for the left side and the other for the right side. Do not interchange them. The left tie rod arm is marked L and the right is marked with R.
Wiper off any grease contamination from the ball joint tapered section and threads. Then, reconnect the tie-rod (A) to the dampers. Install the 10mm nut (B) and tighten it to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).
- Install a new cotter pin (C) and bend it as shown in the accompanying figure.
Install the 12mm bolts (A), a new stop plate (B), the tie rod plate (C) and new seal washers (D) by aligning the steering rack bolt hold and tie-rod bolt hole.
Tighten the 12mm bolts and bend the stop plate lock tabs (A).
NOTEIf, after tightening the 12mm bolts, the flats of the bolt heads (B) do not align with the lock tabs, continue tightening the bolt unit with the bolt head aligns with one of the lock tabs. Do not exceed 79.6 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
Perform the following after installation:
- Check whether the arrow on the tie rod arm aligns with the center of the alignment mark located at the tie rod end by viewing the tie rod in the axial direction from the wheelhouse.
- Check the front toe.
Check the steering wheel spoke angle. Adjust by turning the right and left tie rod adjuster bolts equally, if necessary.
NOTEThe ECM idle learn procedure must be performed anytime you disconnect the battery, replace the ECM or detach any of its connectors, replace or clean the throttle body, remove fuses or adjust the idle speed.
Perform the ECM idle learn procedure, as follows:
- Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, rear defogger, lights, etc.) are off.
- Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or the engine coolant temperature reaches 176-221°F (80-100°C).
Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed and with all electrical items off.
NOTEIf the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.
- Remove the No. 15 (40A) fuse from the under hood relay box.
- If the IMA battery level gauge (BAT) displays no segments, start the engine and hold it between 3,500-4,000 rpm without load (in Park or Neutral) until the BAT displays at least three segments.
- Install the No. 15 fuse.