These vehicles are equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. The system must be disarmed before performing service on, or around, system components, the steering column, instrument panel components, wiring and sensors. Failure to follow the safety precautions and the disarming procedure could result in accidental air bag deployment, possible injury and unnecessary system repairs. Refer to the Chassis Electrical Section for precautions.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section. Also see the IMA system disabling before proceeding with any procedure.
- Make sure you have the anti-theft codes for the radio and radio presets.
- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. Wait 3 minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing any service.
Align the front wheels straight ahead, then remove the driver-s side airbag from the steering wheel, as follows:
- Remove the access panel from the steering wheel, then disconnect the driver-s airbag 2P connector from the cable reel.
- Remove the cover from the steering wheel. Using a Torx® T30 bit, remove the two Torx® bolts and remove the driver-s airbag.
- Disconnect the horn switch connector.
- Loosen the steering wheel bolt.
- Install a suitable steering wheel puller (A) on the steering wheel (B). Free the steering wheel from the steering column shaft by turning the pressure bolt (C) off of the puller. Note the following when removing the steering wheel:
- Remove the steering wheel puller, then remove the steering wheel bolt and steering wheel from the steering column.
- Before installing the steering wheel, make sure the front wheels are aligned straight ahead, then center the cable reel (A), as follows:
Position the two tabs (A) of the turn signal canceling sleeve (B) as shown in the accompanying figure. Install the steering wheel onto the steering column shaft, making sure the steering wheel hub (C) engages the pins of the cable reel and tabs of the turn signal canceling sleeve.
- Install the steering wheel bolt and tighten it to 29 ft. lbs. (38 Nm).
- Connect the horn switch connector.
Install the driver-s side airbag, as follows:
- Place the airbag in the steering wheel and secure it with new Torx® bolts. Tighten the bolts to 7.2 ft. lbs. (9.8 Nm). Install the covers.
- Connect the cable reel 2P connector to the airbag 2P connector, then install the access panel on the steering wheel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Confirm proper system operation. Turn the ignition switch
(II), the SRS indicator should come on for about 6 seconds and then go off.
NOTEThe ECM idle learn procedure must be performed anytime you disconnect the battery, replace the ECM or detach any of its connectors, replace or clean the throttle body, remove fuses or adjust the idle speed.
Perform the ECM idle learn procedure, as follows:
- Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, rear defogger, lights, etc.) are off.
- Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or the engine coolant temperature reaches 176-221°F (80-100°C).
Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed and with all electrical items off.
NOTEIf the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.
- Remove the No. 15 (40A) fuse from the under hood relay box.
- If the IMA battery level gauge (BAT) displays no segments, start the engine and hold it between 3,500-4,000 rpm without load (in Park or Neutral) until the BAT displays at least three segments.
- Install the No. 15 fuse.