Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the wheel.
- Disconnect the tie rod end at the knuckle.
- Remove the halfshaft from the knuckle. See Halfshaft R&I.
- Support the lower control arm with a jack.
- Remove the cotter pin and castellated nut then, using a screw-type forcing tool, separate the ball joint from the knuckle. Discard the cotter pin.
- Remove the nuts and bolts and remove the ball joint from the control arm.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque the ball joint-to-control arm nuts/bolts to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm). Torque the castellated nut to 108 ft. lbs. (147 Nm). Never back off the nut to align the cotter pin holes.