Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Remove the brake drums.
- Remove the brake return springs.
- Remove the leading shoe holding pin and spring, and then the leading shoe.
- Remove the self-adjuster and the adjuster lever.
- Remove the trailing shoe holding pin and spring.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the trailing shoe and remove the trailing shoe. Remove the parking brake lever from the trailing shoe.
- Attach the parking brake lever to the trailing shoe.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the parking brake lever.
Apply a thin coat of high temperature grease to the shoe contact points on the brake backing plate (locations A and C in the accompanying illustration), piston contact surface (B), and self-adjuster (D).
- Position the trailing shoe on the backing plate and install the hold-down pin, spring, and retainer. Don't stretch the return spring when fitting the shoes onto the backing plate.
- Connect the upper return spring and the leading shoe to the trailing shoe and position the leading brake shoe on the backing plate.
- Install the adjuster assembly and the hold-down pin, spring, and retainer.
- Use a brake spring tool to install the lower return spring.
- Install the self-adjuster lever and adjuster spring.
- Adjust the shoe-to-drum clearance to 0.0098-0.0157 in. (0.25-0.40mm) and install the brake drum.
- Check the brake drum for scoring or other wear. Machine or replace as necessary. Check the maximum brake drum diameter specification when machining.
- Install the rear wheels. Lower the vehicle.
- Road-test the vehicle.