Removal & Installation
- If necessary, record the radio security code.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If the distributor cap is to be replaced, mark the ignition wires for identification and remove them from the distributor cap.
- Remove the two rear air filter housing bolts, using a 10mm socket, extension and ratchet, and move the housing to the left to allow enough clearance to remove the distributor cap.
- Completely loosen the distributor cap mounting fasteners using an 8mm socket, extension and ratchet or a Phillips screwdriver.
- Carefully remove the distributor cap, taking care not to damage the cap seal or rotor, then position the cap aside.
- Locate the threaded fastener that secures the ignition rotor to the shaft of the distributor, which is positioned opposite the rotor contact on the lower portion of the rotor, and remove the fastener.
Carefully lift the rotor off the distributor shaft.
NOTEInspect the distributor cap to housing seal for damage and/or cracks. Replace if cracks are detected.
- Install the rotor onto the distributor shaft and tighten the rotor mounting fastener.
- Position the distributor cap seal on the distributor housing, then position the distributor cap on the housing.
- Install the distributor cap by tightening the mounting fasteners in a crisscross pattern. Use care to not over-tighten the fasteners.
- Reconnect the spark plug wires, making sure to install them exactly in the same position from which they were removed.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable and enter the radio security code.