Except Prelude 2.2L Engine & 2.3L Engine
All engines are equipped with Distributorless Ignition Systems (DIS). No adjustment is necessary.
Prelude 2.2L Engine & 2.3L Engine
These engines are equipped with a distributor; however ignition timing is not adjustable.
1.7L And 2.0L Engines
These engines are equipped with Distributorless Ignition Systems (DIS). No adjustment is necessary.
2.2L And 2.3L Engines
2.4L And 3.0L Engines
The ignition timing is only adjustable by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), but the ignition base timing can be checked by performing the following:
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Connect a PGM tester (scan tool) to the data link connector.
- Connect a timing light to the No. 1 ignition cable.
- Start the engine and allow it to warm up until the electric fan comes on.
- Be sure to turn off all accessories.
- Verify that the idle speed is 630-730 rpm.
- Point the light at the timing belt cover near the crankshaft pulley and read the timing. Correct timing is 8-12° Before Top Dead Center (BTDC). If the ignition timing is different from the specification, replace the PCM.