Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Place the vehicle on a hoist.
- Drain the power steering fluid.
- Remove the air intake duct.
- Remove the bulkhead cover.
- Make sure you have the anti-theft codes for the radio and navigation systems.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable then the positive cable.
- Remove the battery.
- Remove the intake manifold cover.
- Remove the battery box.
- Disconnect the starter wiring.
- Disconnect the fuel line.
- Remove the transfer case breather box.
- Disconnect the brake booster hose.
- Disconnect the EVAP canister hose.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least 3 minutes.
- Place the wheels in the straight-ahead position.
- Remove the steering wheel air bag access cover and disconnect the air bag connector from the cable reel.
- Remove the 2 Torx®bolts, one each side of the steering wheel hub.
- Disconnect the horn switch connector.
- Remove the air bag.
- Disconnect the cable reel harness.
- Remove the steering wheel nut.
- Using a puller, remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering coupler cover from the floor.
- Matchmark and disconnect the joint coupler.
- Disconnect the underhood fuse/relay box.
- Remove the coolant reservoir.
- Remove the PCM cover.
- Disconnect the PCM.
- Remove the drive belt.
- Disconnect the power steering hoses.
- Remove the radiator cap.
- Raise the hoist full height.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the splash shield.
- Drain the coolant.
- Drain the transaxle.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Remove the front subframe stiffener.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar links.
- Disconnect the tie rod ends from the knuckles.
- Disconnect the knuckles from the lower arms.
- Remove the halfshafts.
- Remove the transfer case.
- Disconnect the fluid lines from the steering gear.
- Disconnect the power steering pressure switch.
- Remove the transaxle lower front mount bolts.
- Remove the rear mount bolts.
- Remove the A/C compressor and set it aside without disconnecting the hoses.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Remove the heater hoses.
- Remove the radiator hoses.
- Disconnect the transaxle cooler lines.
- Remove the radiator.
- Remove the connector bracket from the front cylinder head and use that bolt hole to attach the balancer bar front arm.
- Remove the harness clamp bracket from the rear head and use that bolt hole to attach the balancer bar rear arm.
Remove the caps from the front strut mounting nuts. Position the engine hanger adapters (VSB02C000024) with the FRONT mark facing forward, over the flange nuts.
- Install the balancer bar (VSB02C000019):
Install the support hanger (AAR-T-12566):
- Attach the hook to the slotted hole in the balancer bar.
- Tighten the wing nut (F) by hand to lift and support the engine/transaxle assembly.
- Remove and discard the front engine mount nut.
Matchmark the body and subframe as shown.
Install the subframe adapter (A) as shown.
Remove the six 12x1.25mm bolts (A) securing the subframe stiffeners (B), the 4 subframe mounting bolts (C) and the stiffeners. Then, lower the subframe (D).
Lower the vehicle and attach an engine crane as shown. Lift the engine until the crane has the weight and remove the support hanger.
- Remove the upper side engine mount bolts.
- Slowly lower the engine about 6 inches, make sure everything is clear, then lower it all the way.
- Remove the crane.
- Raise the vehicle and remove the engine assembly.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Observe the following torques:
Engine mount bracket: 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm)