Check the oil pump components for wear or damage. The following measurements are the service limits:
Inner rotor-to-outer rotor: 0.008 in.Housing-to-rotor axial clearance: 0.005 in.Housing-to-rotor radial clearance: 0.008 in.
Removal & Installation
- Remove the bulkhead cover.
- Remove the intake manifold cover.
- Remove the drive belt.
- Remove the power steering pump and the line bracket. Set the pump aside without disconnecting the lines.
- Remove the caps from the front strut mounting nuts. Position the engine hanger adapters (VSB02C000024) with the FRONT mark facing forward, over the flange nuts.
Install the balancer bar (VSB02C000019):
- Attach the front arm (A) to the front head with spacer (B) and a 10x1.25mm bolt (C)
- Attach the rear arm (D) to the rear head with an 8x1.25mm bolt (E).
- Install the support hanger (AAR-T-12566):
- Remove the timing belt.
- Remove the crankshaft position sensor.
- Remove the VTEC solenoid valve/oil filter assembly.
- Remove the oil pan.
- Remove the oil screen.
- Remove the oil pump.
- Discard the oil seal.
- Tap a new seal into place until it bottoms.
- Thoroughly clean and dry all gasket surfaces.
Apply a bead of RTV gasket material to the pump mating surface of the block.
NOTEThe oil pump must be installed within 4 minutes of applying the gasket material.
- Apply all-purpose grease to the seal lip and clean engine oil to the new O-ring (A).
- Install the dowel pins (B) then align the inner rotor with the crankshaft and install the oil pump (C).
- Install the screen (D) with a new O-ring (E).
Install the VTEC solenoid valve/oil filter assembly, using a new filter.
- Install the oil pan.
- Install the CKP.
- Install the timing belt.
- Remove the engine hanger.
- Install the caps on the strut.
- Install the power steering pump. Torque the mounting bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Install the drive belt.
- Install the bulkhead cover.