- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Drain the power steering fluid.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least 3 minutes.
- Place the wheels in the straight-ahead position.
- Remove the steering wheel air bag access cover and disconnect the air bag connector from the cable reel.
- Remove the 2 Torx® bolts, one each side of the steering wheel hub.
- Disconnect the horn switch connector.
- Remove the air bag.
- Disconnect the cable reel harness.
- Remove the steering wheel nut.
- Using a puller, remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering coupler cover from the floor.
Matchmark and disconnect the joint coupler. If equipped with a center guide, discard it. It-s for factory assembly only.
- Disconnect the power steering outlet hose from the pump and remove the clamp.
- Remove the 10mm flange bolts from the engine side mount bracket.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Separate the tie rod ends from the knuckle.
- Remove the front subframe stiffener.
- Disconnect the converter from the muffler.
- Disconnect the power steering pressure switch.
- Remove the driveshaft protector loop.
Attach front subframe adapter VSB02C000016 to the subframe and attach the power train lift, OTC-1585, to the adapter as shown.
- Remove the four 12mm flange bolts (A) from the subframe front brackets (B).
Loosen the two 14mm flange bolts (C) so they are
in. (about 30mm) from the mounting surface. Don-t loosen the more than is necessary.
- Raise the jack slightly and remove the 12mm bolts from the subframe rear brackets.
- Remove the two 14mm bolts from the subframe rear brackets.
- Lower the jack slowly until the subframe has dropped about 1 15 / 16 in. (about 50mm).
- Remove the power steering line brackets.
- Disconnect the return hose.
- Remove the two 10mm bolts from the right side of the steering gear, then remove the mounting bracket and cushion.
- Remove the two 10mm bolts from the left side of the steering gear.
- Lower the jack another 2 inches.
- Remove the steering gear stiffener from the left side of the subframe.
- Disconnect the feed line from the gear.
- Slide the gear towards the left side and out.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Observe the following torques:
Feed line to gear: 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm)
- Fill the system with fluid and bleed the air.
- Reset the alignment.