REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Jack up the front of the car and support it safely on jackstands. Remove the splash shield.
- Slide a drain pan under the differential drain plug. Loosen and remove the plug and drain the fluid. Move the drain pan under the transaxle oil pan, remove the plug and drain the fluid. The transmission fluid cannot all be drained by just draining the oil pan.
- Remove the pan retaining bolts and remove the pan. Thoroughly clean the pan and transaxle gasket mating surfaces.
- The filter may be serviced at this time. Remove the old filter and install then new one.
- Use a new oil pan gasket and reinstall the pan in the reverse order of removal. Tighten the oil pan retaining bolts evenly in a crisscross pattern to 7-9 ft. lbs. (10-12 Nm).
- Replace the drain plug and torque to 22-25 ft. lbs. (30-35 Nm). Lower the car. Refill the transmission to the proper level with Dexron®II fluid. Start the engine and allow to idle for at least two minutes. With the parking brake applied, move the selector to each position ending in N.
- Add sufficient fluid to bring the level to the lower mark. Recheck the fluid level after the transmission is up to normal operating temperature.