REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 5
- Remove air cleaner, air cleaner snorkel, mounting brackets and remove plug wires from mounting clip if necessary. Label vacuum hoses that are disconnected for reinstallation identification.
On the Sonata and Elantra with DOHC engines, the upper timing belt cover must be removed to remove the rocker arm cover.
- Disconnect breather hoses and remove cover mounting bolts. Remove valve cover and valve cover gasket.
- Clean all valve cover mating surfaces. Inspect the breather seal, camshaft end seal and valve cover end seals that are mounted on the cylinder head. Replace as necessary.
- On V6 engines, apply a small amount of Threebond No. 1324 or equivalent sealant to four places on each cylinder head. Do this before installing the rocker cover. Make certain that the sealant does not leak out into the cam journal surface during application. If it does, make sure that all the excess is wiped away.
- Install a new valve cover gasket into the mounting slot. Apply RTV sealant to the end seals and install the valve cover. Torque the valve cover bolts on Excel to 1.1-1.4 ft. lbs. (1.5-2.0 Nm), 4.0-5.0 ft. lbs. on 2.4L Sonata, 2-3 ft. lbs. (2.5-3.5 Nm) on 2.0L Sonata and Elantra, and 6.0-7.0 ft. lbs. on V6 Sonata.
Do not overtighten the valve cover bolts, because warpage of the valve cover and oil leakage could result.
- On V6 engines, once the valve cover is in place, apply Threebond No. 1212D or equivalent sealant to circular packing and top cylinder head surfaces on each side of the rocker cover for both heads.
- Run the engine until normal operating temperature is reached. Shut the engine off and check for oil leaks.