REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the rear end on jackstands.
- Unbolt the muffler inlet pipe from the catalytic converter. It may be necessary to spray the joint liberally with a penetrant/rust dissolver compound such as Liquid Wrench®, WD-40®, or equivalent.
- Support the front (head) pipe and remove the rubber support ring from the hanger bracket.
- Unbolt the converter from the front pipe. On Sonata, remove the hanger bracket first.
- Position the replacement converter in the system and connect it to the muffler inlet pipe.
- Connect it to the head pipe, make sure that the converter is properly positioned and tighten converter-to-exhaust pipe nuts. On Sonata, torque the hanger bracket bolts
- Lower the car. Start the engine and check for exhaust leaks.
See Figures 1 through 6