REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- On vehicles without rear bearing hub, remove the dust cap, cotter pin, nut lock, wheel bearing nut and washer from the spindle. Remove the outer wheel bearing. Remove the drum with the inner wheel bearing from the spindle. If the drum is difficult to remove, remove the plug from the rear of the backing plate and push the self adjuster lever away from the star wheel. Rotate the star wheel to retract the shoes. Remove the grease seal.
- If equipped with a rear bearing hub, remove the drum by removing the retainer screws from the drum and pulling the drum from the hub assembly. If the drum is difficult to remove, remove the plug from the rear of the backing plate and push the self adjuster lever away from the star wheel. Rotate the star wheel to retract the shoes.
- On vehicles equipped without rear bearing hub, lubricate and install the inner wheel bearing. Install a new grease seal. Install the drum to the spindle. Lubricate and install the outer wheel bearing, washer and nut. Adjust the bearing preload following the procedure outlined in the "Rear Wheel Bearing" of this section. When the bearing preload is properly set, install the nut lock and a new cotter pin. Install the grease cap.
- On vehicles with rear bearing hub, install the brake drum to the hub assembly and install the retaining screws.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly. Adjust the rear brakes as required.
- Apply the brakes until a firm pedal is obtained, prior to moving the vehicle.
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise the rear end and remove the brake drum as previously described.
- Thoroughly clean the drum with brake cleaning solvent and allow the drum to dry.
- Measure the brake drum inside diameter with a outside Vernier caliper. The manufacturer's minimum allowable service specifications are as follows; Excel - 182mm and Sonata - 230mm.
- Using a dial indicator, measure the brake drum for out-of-roundness. Maximum brake drum out-of-round for all vehicles is 0.15mm.
- Check the brake linings for proper lining to drum contact.