REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the transaxle oil.
- Remove the air duct and air cleaner assembly, as required.
- Disconnect and plug the transaxle cooler lines.
- Disconnect the control cable.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable.
- Label and disconnect the pulse generator, inhibitor, kickdown servo, solenoid valve and oil temperature sensor electrical harnesses.
- Label and disconnect the starter wiring harness. Remove the starter.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Disconnect the halfshafts.
- Unbolt and remove the bell housing cover.
- Remove the torque converter bolts.
- Support the bottom of the transaxle with a transmission jack.
- Remove the transaxle mounting brackets and center member.
- Remove the transaxle-to-engine bolts.
- Slide the transaxle back and then lower it away from the engine.
- Raise the transaxle into position on the engine.
- Install the transaxle-to-engine bolts. Tighten M8 bolts to 6-7 ft. lbs. (8-10 Nm), M10 bolts to 22-25 ft. lbs. (30-35 Nm) and M12 bolts to 32-39 ft. lbs. (43-55 Nm).
- Install the transaxle mounting brackets and tighten bolts to 65-80 ft. lbs. (90-110 Nm).
- Install the torque converter bolts and tighten to 34-39 ft. lbs. (46-53 Nm).
- Install the bell housing cover and tighten bolts to 6-7 ft. lbs. (8-10 Nm).
- Connect the halfshafts.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the starter and connect the starter wiring harness.
- Connect and adjust the control cables.
- Connect the speedometer cable.
- Connect the pulse generator, inhibitor, kickdown servo, solenoid valve and oil temperature sensor electrical harnesses.
- Install the air duct and air cleaner assembly, as required.
- Fill the transaxle with oil.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
See Figure 2
- Place the selector lever in the N position.
- Install the control cable and connect to the transaxle mounting bracket. The clip should contact the control cable.
- Remove any free play in the control cable by using the adjusting nut.
- Ensure the selector lever moves freely.