REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 12
- Rotate the engine and bring the No.1 piston to TDC of its compression stroke.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Label and disconnect the electrical harness from the distributor.
- Remove the distributor cap and lay it aside with the spark plug wires still attached.
- Matchmark the rotor to the distributor, and the distributor to the engine.
Do not rotate the engine after removing the distributor.
- Remove the distributor mounting nut and remove the distributor assembly.
If the distributor is hard to remove, the O-rings on the distributor shaft are probably damaged.To install:
- Carefully inspect the O-rings on the distributor shaft and replace as necessary.
If the engine was disturbed while the distributor was removed, it will be necessary to remove the No. 1 spark plug and rotate the engine clockwise until No. 1 piston is on the compression stroke. Align the timing pointer with TDC on the crankshaft damper.
- Align the distributor housing mating mark with the gear mating mark, as illustrated.
- Lubricate the O-rings on the distributor shaft.
- Install the distributor into the engine and ensure all matchmarks made during disassembly are aligned.
- Snug the distributor hold down nut.
- Start the engine and adjust the ignition timing.