Hyundai recommends the use of SAE 75-85W or 85W-90 GL-4/GL-5 gear oil.
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Park the vehicle on a level surface, turn the engine OFF , FIRMLY apply the parking brake and block the drive wheels.
Ground clearance may make access to the transaxle filler plug impossible without raising and supporting the vehicle, BUT, if this is done, the car MUST be supported at four corners and level. If only the front or rear is supported, an improper fluid level will be indicated.
- Remove the filler plug from the side of the transaxle. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the filler hole.
- If additional fluid is necessary, add it through the filler hole using a siphon pump or squeeze bottle.
- When you are finished, carefully install the filler plug and tighten to 22-25 ft. lbs. (30-35 Nm).
DO NOT overtighten the filler plug, as this can damage the transaxle.
DRAIN & REFILL
See Figures 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
It is a good idea to warm the transmission fluid first so it will flow better. This can be accomplished by 15-20 miles of highway driving. Fluid which is warmed to normal operating temperature will flow faster, drain more completely, and remove more contaminants from the housing.
- Raise and support the vehicle securely on jackstands. Remember that the vehicle must be supported level (usually at four points) so the proper amount of fluid can be added.
- Place a drain pan under the transaxle housing, below the drain plug. Remember that the fluid will likely flow with some force at first (arcing outward from the transaxle), and will not just drip straight downward into the pan. Position the drain pan accordingly and move it more directly beneath the drain plug as the flow slows to a trickle.
- Remove the filler plug from the transaxle.
- Remove the drain plug and allow the transmission fluid to drain out.
- Once the transaxle has drained sufficiently, install the the drain plug and tighten to 22-25 ft. lbs. (30-35 Nm).
- Fill the transaxle to the proper level with the required fluid through the filler hole.
- Reinstall the filler plug and tighten to 22-25 ft. lbs. (30-35 Nm).
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.