REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Disconnect the lower arm ball joint from the steering knuckle.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar from the lower arm.
- On Excel and Scoupe, remove the lower arm mounting bracket.
- Remove the lower arm from the frame.
- Install the lower arm to the frame and tighten bolt to 69-87 ft. lbs. (95-120 Nm).
- On 1994-95 Elantra and Accent, position rear bushing as illustrated and tighten bolt to 90-112 ft. lbs. (125-155 Nm).
- On Excel and Scoupe, install the lower arm mounting bracket and tighten bolts to 116-137 ft. lbs. (160-190 Nm).
- Connect the lower arm ball joint to the steering knuckle.
- Connect the stabilizer bar to the lower arm.
- Install the front wheels.
- Lower the vehicle.
CONTROL ARM BUSHING REPLACEMENT
See Figures 8, 9 and 10
- Install the special tools on the lower arm as illustrated.
- Press the bearing out using a hydraulic press.
- Apply a soap solution to the outer surface of the new bushing, inner surface of the lower arm bushing mount and the inner surface of the special tools.
- Install the special tools and new bushing in the lower arm.
- Press fit the bushing into the lower arm bushing mount.
On all vehicles except Scoupe, ensure the busing is centered in the lower arm. On Scoupe, the bushing must be 0.059-0.098 in. (1.5-2.5 mm) from the inside flange of the lower arm
- Remove the special tools.