REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Detach the brake hose from the clip on the strut.
- Unbolt the strut from the knuckle.
- Remove the four strut-to-fender nuts.
- Pull the strut away from the steering knuckle and wheelhouse and out from the car.
On some models it is helpful to raise the lower arm with a jack and attach the brake hose, brake line, front speed sensor harness and drive shaft to the steering knuckle with a piece of rope or wire after the strut is separated from the knuckle.To install:
- Before installing the strut, make sure the surface where the strut attaches to the knuckle is clean. This ensures a good connection.
- Position the strut onto the knuckle and inside fender apron and install the upper and lower attaching hardware.
Observe the following torque specifications:
Strut-to-knuckle bolts-65-76 ft. lbs. (95-105 Nm) for Accent, Excel, Scoupe and Sonata.
- Install the tire and wheel and lower the vehicle.
See Figures 6 through 15
Hyundai does not recommend strut overhaul for late model vehicles. If determined faulty, the strut should be replaced as an assembly. The strut spring can be serviced as follows:
- The strut assembly must be removed from the vehicle to remove the spring
- Using a spring compressor, compress the coil spring.
- Hold the upper spring seat with spanner wrench (PN 09546-21000), or equivalent, loosen the nut at the top end of the strut and remove the insulator.
- Remove the spring seat, spring and rubber bumper.
- Install the coil spring with the identification mark toward the steering knuckle.
- Install the rubber bumper, upper rubber seat, upper seat assembly, insulator and washer.
- Align the "D" shaped hole in the spring seat upper assembly with the indentation o the piston rod.
- After seating the upper and lower ends of the coil spring in the upper and lower spring seat groves, tighten locknut to 29-36 ft. lbs. (40-50 Nm).
- Pack grease in the strut upper bearing and install the cap.
Ensure grease does not contact the insulator rubber.