See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the air intake hose from the throttle body.
- Disconnect the accelerator and cruise control (if so equipped) cables from the throttle lever.
- Drain the engine coolant to a level just below the intake manifold.
- Remove the water hoses from the throttle body.
- Label, then disconnect all electrical wiring and vacuum hoses from the throttle body.
- Remove the four retaining bolts and separate the throttle body from the surge tank.
- Remove the throttle body gasket.
Cover the surge tank opening with masking tape to prevent debris from falling into the engine.To install:
- Clean all gasket mating surfaces thoroughly.
- Position the throttle body and gasket onto the surge tank and install the four retaining bolts. Tighten bolts to 11-15 ft. lbs. (15-20 Nm).
Do not overtighten the bolts or the gasket will be over-compressed and not seal properly.
- Connect the vacuum hoses, electrical wiring and water hoses to the throttle body. Make sure all connections are tight.
- Connect and adjust the accelerator and cruise control cables.
- Connect the air intake hose to the throttle body and tighten the hose clamp securely.
- Fill the cooling system.
- Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature. Check for leaks.
THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTMENT
See Figures 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13
On vehicles without cruise control, the throttle cable is adjusted by loosening the two screws on the slotted throttle cable bracket(s) attached to the surge tank. Move the bracket(s) as required until a slight tension in the cable is obtained. To check the cable tension, lightly press the cable with the tip of your finger. There should be 0-1mm of slack in the cable. Once the cable is properly tensioned, hold the bracket in place and tighten the two screws. Coat the cable and throttle lever with multipurpose grease.With Cruise Control
On vehicles with cruise control, if the throttle and cruise control cables were disconnected for any reason, there is a four part adjustment sequence to adjust cable tension. The four parts are as follows:
To perform the accelerator cable (pedal side) adjustment:
- Connect the accelerator cable to the pulley. Then, position the cable in the cable bracket and make the two locknuts A and B finger tight.
- Pull the cable tight so that the pulley rests against the stop and tighten locknut B until it is flush against the bracket. Then, back locknut B off one complete turn.
- Tighten locknut A. The cable should have approximately 0.03 in. (1mm) of slack.
To perform the accelerator cable (throttle valve side) adjustment:
- Connect the throttle valve side accelerator cable to intermediate pulley B. Then, adjust and tighten the cable locknuts so that there are just about equal lengths of the cable threaded portion on both sides of the cable housing bracket.
To perform the actuator cable adjustment:
- Connect the actuator cable to intermediate pulley C.
- Position the cable in the cable bracket and make the two locknuts A and B finger tight.
- Pull the cable tight so that the pulley rests against the stop and tighten locknut B until it is flush against the bracket, then back locknut B off one complete turn.
- Tighten locknut A. The cable should have approximately 0.059 in. (1.5mm) of slack with the pulley flush against the stop.
To perform the final cable adjustment:
- If not already completed, connect the accelerator cable to the throttle valve pulley and attach the cable and slotted bracket to the rear side of the surge tank. DO NOT tighten the two bracket mounting screws at this time.
Before proceeding with any further adjustments, make sure the throttle valve pulley is in the NORMAL idle position.
- Insert a 0.059 in. (1.5mm) shim or feeler gauge between intermediate pulley stops B and C and hold it there.
- Adjust the cable casing at the rear side of the surge tank until all slack is removed from the cable. If all slack is removed, the throttle stop bolt should be contacting the throttle valve lever. Make sure the throttle valve pulley does not deviate from the normal idle position during the adjustment.
- Once all slack is removed from the accelerator cable, tighten the two bracket mounting screws at this time.
- Remove the shim installed between the intermediate pulleys.