- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Disconnect the negative terminal (A) from the battery.
Take away the bolts (A) shown in the illustration, and then remove the driver airbag module (B).
Remove the steering wheel lock nut (A).
After aligning the marks on the steering shaft and wheel (A), remove the steering wheel using the special tool (09561-11002).
NOTEDo not hammer on the steering wheel to remove it as this may cause damage to the steering column.
Remove the steering column upper (A) and lower shrouds (B).
Disconnect the two tightening bolt (A) and remove the lower crash pad (B).
Remove the connectors of the multifunction switch (A).
After removing three bolts (A) shown in the following illustration, remove the multifunction switch assembly (B).
Remove the bolts connecting the steering column shaft (A) and the universal joint (B) as shown in the following illustration.
After removing the mounting bolts and nuts on the steering column and shaft assembly, remove the steering column and shaft assembly (A).
- Install the steering column and shaft assembly in the dash and secure the column with the mounting bolts and nuts. Tighten to 9.6-13.3 ft. lbs. (13-18 Nm).
- Install the bolts connecting the steering column shaft and the universal joint. Tighten to 10.8-14.8 ft. lbs. (15-20 Nm).
- Install the multifunction switch assembly back on top of the steering column. Insert and tighten the three bolts to secure the assembly. Rejoin the connectors.
- Install the lower crash pad and secure with the two tightening bolts.
- Install the steering column upper and lower shrouds.
- Going by the aligning marks previously made, install the steering wheel onto the steering column.
- Install the steering lock nut.
- Insert the drivers air bag module and tighten securely with the three bolts.
- Reconnect the negative (-) terminal (A) from the battery.