Removal & Installation
The switch unit is bolted to the left side of the transmission shift lever.
- Disconnect the manual control linkage from the manual shaft.
- Disconnect the harness connectors from the park/neutral switch.
- Remove the bolts that secure the switch to the side of the transfer case and remove the switch.
- Install the switch and secure with mounting bolts.
- Connect the harness connectors to the park/neutral switch.
- Set the manual shaft on the side of the transaxle to the NEUTRAL position.
- Loosen the park/neutral switch mounting screws enough to allow for movement of the switch.
- Insert a 0.16 in. (4 mm) diameter pin and move the switch until the pin falls through the locating hole in the inhibitor switch and manual shaft. Tighten the switch screws equally.
- Remove the pin and connect the manual control linkage to the shaft.
- Check for continuity at the park/neutral switch in the NEUTRAL , P and R ranges.
- Make sure while holding the brakes on, that the engine will start only in P or NEUTRAL and that the backup lights only illuminate in reverse.