The radio may contain a coded theft protection circuit. Always obtain the code number from the customer before disconnecting the battery.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Remove the exhaust tube.
- Drain the fluid from the transmission pan.
- Remove the dipstick tube.
- Remove the oil cooler lines.
- Plug dipstick tube hole and oil cooler fittings after removing lines.
- Remove the control linkage from the selector lever.
- Disconnect the neutral safety switch and solenoid harness connectors.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable.
- Matchmark and remove the driveshaft. Insert plug into rear seal opening to prevent loss of fluid.
- Support the transmission safely.
- Remove the bolts securing the torque converter to the flexplate.
- Remove the starter.
- Remove the crankshaft position sensor.
Remove the gussets securing the transmission to the engine. Remove the bolts attaching the transmission to the engine.
NOTEThe bolts securing the transmission to the engine are of different lengths. Note the length of the bolts as they are removed.
- Support the engine safely. Avoid jacking directly under the oil pan drain plug.
- Remove the transmission from the vehicle.
- Install the torque converter in the transmission. Make sure the torque converter is fully seated in the front pump assembly. The distance from the front edge of the transmission to the bolt hole of the torque converter should be 1.02 inches (26.0 mm) or more.
- Position the transmission to the engine and install a few bolts to hold the transmission in place. Do not fully tighten the bolts at this time.
- Install the torque converter-to-flexplate bolts. Tighten to 33-43 ft. lbs. (44-59 Nm).
Secure the transmission to the engine. Torque the bolts as follows:
58mm bolts to 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm)
- Install the starter.
- Install the crankshaft position sensor.
- Align the matchmark and install the driveshaft.
- Connect the speedometer cable.
- Connect the neutral safety switch and solenoid harness connectors.
- Install the control linkage to the selector lever.
- Install the dipstick tube and oil cooler lines.
- Connect the exhaust tube.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Fill the transmission with new fluid. Use the same amount of fluid that was drained before removal.
- Connect negative battery cable and start the engine. Allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature and check the transmission fluid level. Add fluid as needed.