Removal & Installation
The oil pump bolts to the front of the engine block and is driven by the crankshaft. Removal of the timing cover and chains are necessary for oil pump service.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and drain the engine oil.
- Rotate the engine and position it to TDC compression stroke of cylinder No. 1.
- Remove the drive belts.
- Remove the camshaft position sensor (PHASE) and the crankshaft position sensor (REF/POS).
- Remove the right front wheel and inner fender cover.
- Remove the engine undercovers.
- Remove the bolt that secures the crankshaft pulley and remove the pulley.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe and its support.
- Support the engine at the left and right side slingers with a suitable hoist.
- Remove the engine right side mounting insulator and bracket nuts and bolts.
- Remove the center crossmember assembly.
- If equipped, remove the A/C compressor and the mounting bracket.
- Remove the lower and upper oil pans.
- Remove the oil strainer from the oil pump.
- Remove the water pump cover and remove the front cover assembly.
- Remove the lower timing chain assembly.
- Remove the bolts that secure the oil pump to the engine block and remove the oil pump.
When installing the oil pump, be sure to apply engine oil to the gears.
- Install the oil pump to the engine block. Tighten the mounting bolts to 57 inch lbs. (6.5 Nm) and tighten the mounting screws to 33-44 inch lbs. (4-5 Nm).
- Install the lower timing chain assembly.
- Install the front timing cover and water pump covers.
- Using a new gasket, install the oil strainer and tighten the mounting bolts to 12-14 ft. lbs. (16-19 Nm).
- Install the upper and lower oil pans. Be sure to use new O-rings at the oil pump to upper oil pan mating surface.
- If removed, install the A/C compressor mounting bracket and the install the compressor.
- Install the center crossmember assembly.
- Install the engine right side mounting insulator and bracket.
- Remove the engine support hoist.
- Install the front exhaust pipe and its support.
- Install the crankshaft pulley.
- Install the engine undercovers and install the right side inner fender cover.
- Install the right front wheel.
- Install the camshaft position sensor (PHASE) and the crankshaft position sensor (REF/POS).
- Install and adjust the engine drive belts.
- Refill the engine oil with the proper type and amount.
- Start the engine, check the oil pressure, and check for oil leaks.