Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel. Matchmark the position of the strut-to-steering knuckle location.
- Disconnect the brake hose from the strut.
- Remove the ABS wheel sensor and move it out of the way.
- Matchmark and remove the bolts attaching the steering knuckle to the strut.
Open the hood and remove the strut attaching nuts while holding the strut.
CAUTIONDo not remove the center locknut from the strut assembly until the strut is safely compressed.
- Remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Place the strut assembly in a vise with the special holding tool ST35652000 or in a spring compressor.
Loosen the piston rod locknut.
CAUTIONDo not remove the piston rod locknut, the spring is under tension and can cause serious personal injury.
Compress the spring with the spring compressor then remove the piston rod locknut.
NOTEBefore removing the strut from the coil spring, note the positioning of the strut in relationship to the coil spring for reassembly.
- Remove the strut mounting insulator bracket, strut mounting bearing, upper spring seat, and the upper spring rubber seat.
- Remove the strut, leaving the coil spring compressed.
- Remove the piston boot and rebound bumper from the strut.
- Install the rebound bumper and the boot to the strut piston.
- Install the strut into the coil spring, make sure the strut and spring are properly positioned.
- Install the upper spring rubber seat, upper spring seat, strut mounting bearing, and the strut mounting insulator bracket. Make sure that the cutout on the upper spring seat is facing the outside of the vehicle.
- Install the piston rod locknut then remove the spring compressor.
- Torque the piston rod locknut to 43-58 ft. lbs. (59-76 Nm).
- Install the strut into the strut tower and install new attaching nuts. Torque the nuts to 29-40 ft. lbs. (39-54 Nm).
- Install the bolts attaching the steering knuckle to the strut and align the matchmarks. Torque the bolts to 103-117 ft. lbs. (140-159 Nm).
- Install the ABS wheel sensor and torque the attaching bolt to 13-17 ft. lbs. (18-24 Nm).
- Install the brake hose to the strut.
- Install the front wheels and lower the vehicle.
- Check and/or adjust the wheel alignment as necessary.