Removal & Installation
The steering lock/ignition switch assembly is attached to the steering column by special screws or bolts whose heads shear off upon installation. The screws must be drilled out to remove the assembly or removed with an appropriate tool. The bolts may also be removed with a hammer and chisel by notching the bolts and tapping them counterclockwise with the hammer and chisel.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and insulate the terminal end.
Disarm the Air Bag system.
CAUTIONThe Air Bag system must be disarmed before removing the steering wheel. Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment, property damage or personal injury.
- Remove the steering wheel and the steering column upper and lower covers.
- Remove the combination switch from the steering column.
- Remove steering column support nuts and lower the steering column.
- Disconnect the ignition switch wiring.
- Remove the set screw that holds the ignition switch to the steering lock and remove the remove the switch from the lock assembly.
- Install the ignition switch to the steering lock and secure with set screw.
Install the ignition switch assembly and secure with new shear type bolts.
- Connect the switch wiring.
- Raise the steering column and secure with mounting nuts. Tighten the mounting nuts to 11-14 ft. lbs. (15-19 Nm).
- Install the combination switch, steering column covers, and the steering wheel.
- Connect the negative battery cable and enable the Air Bag system.