Removal & Installation
The combination switch assembly is made up of three units; the windshield wiper/washer switch is located to the right side of the steering column, the combination switch base is attached to the steering column and the headlight, dimmer and turn signal switch is located to the left of the steering column. The two switches can be removed without removing the switch base.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 10 minutes for the Air Bag power supply to discharge.
- Remove the steering column covers. Disconnect the connector.
- Remove the combination switch mounting screws and remove the switch(s) from the switch base.
- Install the switch to the switch base.
- Install the steering column covers.
Connect the negative battery cable and check all functions of the combination switch for proper operation.
- Make sure the wheels are pointing straight ahead. Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 10 minutes for the Air Bag power supply to discharge.
Remove the steering wheel.
CAUTIONAlways carry an Air Bag assembly with the bag and cover facing away from your body. Store the assembly with the bag and cover facing up; never place the assembly face down on the floor or workbench.
- Disconnect all combination and windshield wiper switch connectors and remove the switches from the switch base.
- Remove the base attaching screw, push and turn the base clockwise to remove the base.
- Install the switch base and the switches on the steering column.
- Install the steering column covers and the steering wheel.
Connect the negative battery cable and check all functions of the combination and windshield wiper switches for proper operation.
Be sure to align the spiral cable correctly when installing the steering wheel.
NOTEAfter installation, be sure to turn the steering wheel to make sure that it moves smoothly. Ensure the number of turns from the straight forward position to the left and right locks are the same. Be sure that the steering wheel is in a neutral position when driving straight ahead.
NOTEThe spiral cable may snap during steering operation if the cable is not installed correctly. Also if the steering linkage is disconnected the cable may snap by turning the steering wheel beyond the specified number of turns. Always perform the SRS self diagnostic test after installing the air bag module.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.