- Disconnect both battery cables and wait at least 10 minutes after the battery cables are disconnected. This will disarm the Air Bag system so the steering wheel can be removed.
Point the front tires straight ahead and lock the steering in this position.
WARNINGDo not turn the steering wheel or column with the lower joint removed from the steering column or the spiral cable may be damaged.
Remove the steering wheel.
NOTEThe steering wheel must be removed before disconnecting the steering column lower joint to avoid damaging the Air Bag spiral cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely and remove the front wheels.
- Disconnect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles.
- Remove the carbon canister from the vehicle.
- Support the engine then remove the bolts attaching the engine mounts to the engine mounting center member. Remove the engine mounting center member.
- Remove the front stabilizer bar from the vehicle.
- Remove the nuts attaching the hole cover to the bulkhead.
- Move the hole cover aside and disconnect the lower joint from the rack and pinion. Matchmark the pinion shaft and the pinion housing to record the steering neutral position.
- Disconnect the power steering fluid pipes from the rack and pinion.
- Remove the bolts attaching the mounting brackets and remove the rack and pinion from the vehicle.
Position the rack and pinion in the vehicle and install the mounting brackets. Torque the mounting nuts and bolts in the proper sequence to 54-72 ft. lbs. (73-97 Nm).
- Install new O-rings to the power steering fluid pipes and connect them to the rack and pinion. Torque the low pressure line 20-29 ft. lbs. (27-39 Nm). Torque the high pressure line to 11-18 ft. lbs. (15-25 Nm).
- Align the lower steering joint to the pinion shaft and install the joint onto the pinion shaft. Install the bolt and torque the bolt to 17-22 ft. lbs. (24-29 Nm).
- Properly position the hole cover and install the attaching nuts, torque the nuts to 2.9-3.6 ft. lbs. (4-5 Nm).
- Install the front stabilizer.
- Install the engine mounting center member and torque the attaching bolts to 57-72 ft. lbs. (77-98 Nm). Attach the engine mounts to the center member and torque the bolts to 57-72 ft. lbs. (77-98 Nm). Remove the support from the engine.
- Install the carbon canister into the vehicle.
- Connect the tie rod ends to the steering knuckles, torque the nuts to 46-61 ft. lbs. (63-82 Nm) and install a new cotter pin.
- Install the front wheels and lower the vehicle.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Connect the positive then the negative battery cable.
- Fill the power steering reservoir with fluid and bleed the air from the power steering system.
- Check the vehicle front end alignment and adjust as necessary.