Do not place a non-deployed airbag face down on a hard surface. The airbag may propel into the air if accidentally deployed. Failure to follow this instruction may result in possible serious or fatal injury.
Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait 3 minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. Failure to follow these instructions may result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.
To avoid serious or fatal injury when removing a deployed airbag, rubber gloves, eye protection, and a long-sleeved shirt should be worn. There may be deposits on the airbag cushion and other interior surfaces. In large doses, these deposits may cause irritation to the skin and eyes.
The rotation of the spiral cable (SRS -AIR BAG- component part) is limited. If the steering gear must be removed, set the front wheels in the straight-ahead direction. Do not rotate the steering column while the steering gear is removed.
Remove the steering wheel before removing the steering lower joint to avoid damaging the SRS spiral cable.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Wait 3 minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
- Remove the steering wheel, refer to Steering Wheel, removal & installation.
- The manufacturer does not provide a specific removal and installation procedure for this component. Use the illustration as a guide when servicing this component.
- When installing the steering column, finger-tighten all the lower bracket and clamp retaining bolts; then tighten them securely. Do not apply undue stress to the steering column.
When attaching the coupling joint, be sure the tightening bolt faces the cutout portion.
Align the slit of the lower joint with the projection on the dust cover. Insert the joint until surface A contacts surface B.
After installation, turn the steering wheel to make sure it moves smoothly. Ensure the number of turns are the same from the straight forward position to the left and right locks. Be sure that the steering wheel is in a neutral position when driving straight ahead.