REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
Safety glasses and gloves MUST be worn! Failure to do so may result in personal injury.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the windshield wiper arms and blades.
- Remove all windshield trim mouldings. Remove the cowl vent/leaf screen.
- Using Rear View Mirror Remover T91T-17700-A or equivalent, remove the rear view mirror by pulling it upward to remove it from the windshield glass retainer.
If using the "Music Wire'' method of removing the windshield:
- Using a three-foot length of single strand music wire (with the smallest available diameter), cut the urethane seal and rubber seal around the entire edge of the windshield.
- Force the music wire through the seal at the bottom of the windshield. With someone holding the wire inside the vehicle and the other person holding the wire outside the vehicle, move the wire along the bottom and then along the sides and top of the windshield to cut the seal.
If using the "Glass Adhesive Cutting Tool'' method:
- Use Rotunda Knife with Offset Blade 107-R-1511, or Rotunda Interior Auto-Glass Cut-out Knife Kit 163-00001, or equivalent, to cut the sealer. When using this tool, follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Using tool D81T-33610-H, or another suitable glass holding suction tool, remove the windshield from the vehicle.
- If the existing urethane remains on the windshield opening flange, the new urethane can be applied over it, but at no time should the thickness of the material be above 0.10 in. (2.5mm).
- Using a clean brush, apply urethane metal primer ESB-M2G234-A or equivalent to any sheet metal that has been exposed along the windshield.
- Apply about 4 in. (10cm) or vinyl foam tape (C6AZ-19627-A or equivalent that meets Ford Motor Company's specification ESB-M3G77-A) along the cowl and lower A pillars.
- Allow the primer to dry for a minimum of about 30 minutes.
- Be sure that the windshield is clean and free of any dirt or used material. Install the rear view mirror mounting bracket, as required.
- Using a lint-free rag, wipe the inside edge of the windshield, 0.80 in. (20mm) along the top and 2.75 in. (70mm) along the sides and bottom with urethane glass wipe ESB-M5B280-A or equivalent. Wipe off immediately after application since this material will flash dry.
- Install the windshield moulding. Position the glass on top of the lower glass stops. Center it top-and-bottom and side-to-side. Adjust the lower glass stops, as required.
- Using crayon, make alignment marks at points on four sides of both the glass and the window opening.
- Remove the window glass and the moulding assemblies from the vehicle.
- Using a clean brush, apply urethane primer to the edge of the windshield, 0.80 in. (20mm) along the top and 2.75 in. (70mm) along the sides and bottom.
- Apply an even bead of urethane ESB-M2G316-A around the entire sheet metal flange using an air pressure cartridge gun; air pressure should be about 40 psi (276 kPa). The bead should be triangular in shape, 0.55 in. (14mm) high and 0.33 in. (8mm) at the base.
- Apply a double bead of urethane along the cowl top and bottom of the opening. Install the windshield, taking care to position the glass with the alignment marks. This must be done within 15 minutes of applying the urethane.
- Install the wiper arms, wiper blades and leaf screen. Install the rear view mirror.