- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the air inlet duct hose from the intake plenum.
- Disconnect the transaxle wiring harness from the transaxle and the PNP switch.
- Remove the upper transmission to engine bolts and stud.
- Install an engine support fixture.
- Remove the front wheel assemblies.
- Remove the both front fender liners.
- Remove the steering gear mounting bolts and secure the steering gear with mechanics wire.
- Disconnect the wheel speed sensor wires from the both front wheels and unclip from the frame.
- Separate the ball joints from the steering knuckles.
Remove the frame as follows:
- Secure the radiator and condenser assembly to the radiator support.
- Remove the front transaxle mount to cradle through bolt.
- Remove the rear transaxle mount to frame bolts.
- Remove both stabilizer link to stabilizer shaft nuts.
- Remove both tie rod to steering knuckle nuts.
- Separate the outer tie rods from the steering knuckles.
Remove the intermediate steering shaft to steering gear pinch bolt and discard.
NOTEDO NOT rotate the intermediate shaft once separated from the gear. Possible damage or a malfunction could occur.
- Disconnect the intermediate steering shaft from the steering gear.
Remove both lower control arm ball stud to steering knuckle pinch bolts.
NOTEDo not free the ball stud by using a pickle fork or a wedge-type tool. Damage to the seal or bushing may result.
- Lower the lower control arms in order to disengage the steering knuckle. . If necessary, use ball joint removal tool J 43631.
- Mark the frame to body position with a paint pen or permanent marker.
- Lower the vehicle to about 3 feet off the ground in order to place a hydraulic lift table under the frame.
- Use two 2 x 4 pieces of wood between the lift table and the frame and lift the table to the frame.
Slowly remove the frame bolts using the following sequence:
Front frame bolts
- Slowly lower the lift table to the floor.
- Remove the 2 bolts from the transmission brace.
- Disconnect the shift cable from the shift linkage.
- Disconnect the cable from the bracket.
- Remove the flywheel inspection cover.
- Remove the starter
- Mark the relationship of the flywheel to the torque converter for reassembly.
- Use the flywheel holding tool to prevent the crankshaft from rotating.
- Remove the torque converter to flywheel bolts.
- Remove the transmission cooler lines by removing the nut holding the bracket to the transaxle case.
- Disconnect the VSS wiring harness from the sensor.
- Disconnect the wheel drive shafts from the transaxle.
- Remove the body to transmission mount bolts.
- Lower the transmission with the engine support fixture enough to remove the transmission.
- Raise the vehicle.
- Remove the oil pan to drain the transmission.
- Support the transmission with a suitable jack.
- Remove the transaxle to engine nut.
- Separate the engine and the transaxle.
- Remove the transaxle from the vehicle.
Position the transaxle in the vehicle.
NOTEUse the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Install the lower transmission to engine bolts and nuts. Tighten to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Connect the transaxle cooler pipes to the transaxle. Tighten to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
- Use a flywheel holding tool to prevent the crankshaft from rotating.
- Install the torque converter to flywheel bolts. Tighten to 46 ft. lbs. (62 Nm).
- Install the wheel drive shafts to the transaxle.
- Connect the wiring harness to the VSS.
- Install the starter.
- Install the flywheel inspection cover bolts.
- Use the engine support fixture to raise the engine and transmission assembly.
- Install the transaxle mount to body bolts. Tighten to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
Install the frame as follows:
- With the frame on the lift table, raise the frame to the vehicle.
- Hand start all the frame bolts while aligning the frame to the paint marks.
- Tighten the frame bolts. Tighten the bolts 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm) plus and additional 180.
Lower and remove the hydraulic table.
Connect the lower control arm to the steering knuckle.
NOTEThe torque sequence must be followed in the order that is listed.
Install the ball joint pinch bolt and nut. Tighten the nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm), back of the nut
turn then retighten the nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) plus an additional 30 degree turn.
NOTEThe front and rear transmission mounts must be allowed to settle with the through bolts loosened.
- Hand start the front transaxle mount through bolt.
- Loosen the rear transmission mount through bolt.
- Tighten the rear transaxle mount to frame bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
- Tighten the rear transaxle mount through bolts to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm), then tighten the front transaxle mount through bolts to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- Install the outer tie rods to the steering knuckles. Install new outer tie rod to the knuckle nuts and tighten to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) plus an additional 180 degree turn.
- Connect the stabilizer links to the stabilizer shaft. Tighten to 81 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- Connect the intermediate shaft to the steering gear. Install a new intermediate shaft pinch bolt and tighten to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Install the splash shields.
- Install the front wheels.
- Connect the lower control arm to the steering knuckle.
- Route and clip the wheel speed sensor wiring into the proper position on both sides.
- Install the steering gear to the front suspension crossmember.
- Install the steering gear bolts to the front suspension crossmember. Tighten to 81 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- Install the transmission to engine brace bolts. Tighten to 53 ft. lbs. (72 Nm).
- Install the upper transmission to engine bolts and stud. Tighten to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Install the engine wiring harness grounds to the transaxle to engine mount stud and nut.
- Remove the engine support fixture
- Install the shift linkage to the transmission.
- Connect the electrical connectors to the PNP switch and transaxle.
- Connect the air duct hose to the intake plenum.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill the transmission to the proper level.