Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the engine oil pressure sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the engine oil pressure sensor from the engine oil cooler assembly.
- Install the engine oil pressure sensor to the engine oil cooler assembly, and tighten the oil pressure sensor to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Connect the engine oil pressure sensor electrical connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- To test the normally closed oil pressure sender, disengage the electrical connector and measure the resistance between the switch terminal (terminal for the wire to the warning lamp) and the metal housing. The ohmmeter should read 0 ohms.
- To test the sending unit, measure the resistance between the sender terminal and the metal housing. The ohmmeter should read an open circuit (infinite resistance).
- Start the engine.
Once again, test each terminal against the metal housing:
- The oil pressure switch terminal-to-housing circuit should read an open circuit, if there is oil pressure present.
- The sending unit-to-housing circuit should read between 15-80 ohms, depending on the engine speed, oil temperature and oil viscosity.
- To test the oil pressure sender only, rev the engine and watch the ohms reading, which should fluctuate slightly (within the range of 15-80 ohms) as rpm increases.
- If the above results were not obtained, replace the sending unit/switch with a new one.