Removal & Installation
- Raise and support the vehicle.
Remove the wheel bearing.
- Remove the outer tie rod to knuckle nut.
Using the special tool SA91100C, separate the tie rod from the steering knuckle.
NOTEDo not free the ball stud by using a pickle fork or a wedge-type tool. Damage to the seal or bushing may result.
- Remove the lower control arm ball stud to steering knuckle pinch bolt and nut.
- Lower the lower control arm to separate the ball stud from the steering knuckle. If necessary, use the special tool J43631 .
Remove the strut to steering knuckle nuts and bolts.
- Remove the steering knuckle from the vehicle.
- Position the steering knuckle onto the lower control arm ball stud, while guiding the axle through the knuckle.
Install the strut to knuckle bolts and nuts, and tighten the bolts and nuts to 89 ft. lbs. (120 Nm).
NOTEThe torque sequence must be followed in the order that is listed.
- Install the lower control arm ball stud to steering knuckle pinch bolt and nut.
Tighten the pinch bolt and nut in the following sequence:
First Pass: Tighten the nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Install the outer tie rod to the steering knuckle, and tighten the nut to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) plus 90 degrees.
- Install the wheel bearing, brake rotor, brake caliper and front wheels.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Road test the vehicle in order to verify alignment.