Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then remove the air cleaner assembly and air inlet tubes.
Properly relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to the procedure in this section.
CAUTIONThe pressure regulator contains a large spring which is under heavy pressure. Be careful to keep the regulator compressed when removing the screws, in order to prevent personal injury
- For assembly purposes, note the location of the cover alignment slot, then remove the 4 pressure regulator attaching screws using a No. T15 Torx® driver. Hold the regulator cover against the spring tension when removing the screws.
- Slowly remove the cover assembly, followed by the regulator spring. Keep both parts aside to be used with the new diaphragm assembly.
- Remove the pressure regulator diaphragm assembly, inspect for debris and then discard.
- Thoroughly clean the pressure regulator bore and valve seat using a carburetor cleaner that does not contain methyl ethyl ketone, then allow to air dry for a few minutes before the regulator is reinstalled.
- Inspect the regulator valve seat which is pressed into the fuel meter body cavity. If necessary, use a mirror and a magnifying glass to inspect for small particles in the throttle body bore and seat. If cracks, nicks, debris or pitting are found, the fuel meter body must be replaced.
- Install the pressure regulator diaphragm assembly, making sure that it is properly seated in the fuel meter body groove.
Install the regulator spring seat into the cover, then install the cover over the spring and diaphragm assembly. Align the mounting holes and mounting pins, then align the cover as noted prior to removal.
NOTEUse care to properly align the regulator cover. Fuel leaks may be caused by cover misalignment.
- Maintain pressure on the regulator, then install the 4 retaining screws. Tighten the screws to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm).
- Cycle the ignition a few times in order to prime the fuel system, then start the engine and check for leaks.
- Shut the engine OFF and install the air cleaner assembly.