Removal & Installation
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Disconnect the left and right rear brake pipes from the rear brake hoses at the axle.
- Disconnect the brake hoses from the axle brake hose bracket. Plug the brake pipes and hoses in order to prevent additional brake fluid loss.
- Disconnect both rear parking brake cables at the rear brake.
- If applicable, disconnect the ABS harness connectors and disconnect from the axle.
- Support the rear axle with a hydraulic lift table.
- Remove the lower shock bolts.
- Lower the hydraulic lift table and remove the rear coil springs.
- Disconnect the park brake cables from the cable brackets.
- Remove the wheel bearing/hub retaining nuts from both sides.
- Remove the wheel bearing/hubs, with the brakes and backing plate as an assembly.
- Remove all rear axle bushing bracket bolts.
- Use the hydraulic lift table to lower the rear axle from the vehicle.
- Remove the rear axle bushing through bolts and the park brake cable brackets.
- Remove the rear coil spring lower seat from the axle.
- Install the rear coil spring lower insulators to the axle.
Install the axle brackets to the axle bushings, with the alignment slot on the outboard side.
NOTEThe axle bushing through bolts must be installed with the bolt head facing inboard.
- Loosely install the bushing bolts and nuts.
- Place the axle on the hydraulic lift table and raise the axle into position.
Hand tighten the axle bracket to body bolts just enough to hold the brackets flush to the body.
NOTEThe axle through bolts must be tightened with the axle at the correct trim height and prior to torquing the axle bracket to body bolts.
- Using the lift table, raise the axle to the proper trim height specification by measuring the vertical distance between the bottom edge of the upper spring seat and the bottom of the notch in the lower spring seat. Tighten the axle bushing through bolts to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm) plus 45 degrees
- Insert two 12 mm diameter pins through the axle brackets into the underbody.
- Align the left and right side axle brackets and snug down the bolts.
- Tighten all the bracket to body bolts to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm) plus 45 degrees
- Install the wheel bearing/hubs, with the brakes and backing plate assemblies.
- Install the bearing/hub nuts and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) plus 30 degrees
- Connect the brake hoses to the rear axle brackets.
- Connect the brake pipes to the brake hoses at the axle.
- Tighten the brake pipe fittings to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Install the rear coil springs.
- Install the lower shock bolts.
- Lower and remove the hydraulic lift table.
- If applicable, connect the ABS sensor harness connector and harness to axle retainer.
- Connect the park brake cables to the axle brackets and rear brakes.
- Bleed the brake system.
- Install the rear wheels.
Lower the vehicle.