Diagnosis & Testing
- Check the sunroof for any obstructions that would hinder performance.
- Disconnect the sunroof switch from the harness connector.
- Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
- Probe the accessory voltage circuit of the sunroof switch harness connector with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground.
- The test lamp should illuminate, if not check the accessory voltage circuit of the sunroof switch for a short to ground or an open.
- Connect a test lamp between the accessory voltage circuit and the ground circuit of the sunroof switch harness connector.
- The test lamp should illuminate, if not check for an open circuit in the sunroof switch ground circuit.
- Probe each of the sunroof motor control circuits of the sunroof switch harness connector with a test lamp that is connected to battery positive voltage.
- If the test lamp illuminates at any of the sunroof motor control circuits, there is a short to ground in the sunroof motor control circuit(s).
- Connect the sunroof switch to the harness connector.
- Connect a test lamp between the sunroof motor open control circuit of the sunroof actuator motor harness connector and a good ground.
- Press the sunroof switch to the open position for 3 seconds.
- If the test lamp illuminates, there is an open in the sunroof motor control circuit.
- Connect a test lamp between the sunroof motor open and close control circuits of the sunroof actuator motor harness connector.
- Press the sunroof switch to the close position for 3 seconds
- If the test lamp does not illuminate, replace the switch.
- If the wiring, connectors and switch are all functioning normally and the sunroof is still not functioning, replace the motor.
- Disable the SIR.
Remove the coat hooks.
NOTEDo not pull on the edges of the center high-mounted stop lamp cover. Damage to the cover may result.
- Slide your fingers between the cover and the lamp, and carefully pull the cover down.
- Remove the trim panel from the high mount stop lamp by pulling at the clip locations.
- Remove the center high mount stop lamp.
- Remove the garnish molding from the upper lock pillar. Remove the rear push-in retainer.
- Remove the dome lamp.
- Remove the sunshades.
- Remove the sunshade retainers.
- Remove the windshield garnish moldings.
- On the sedan, remove the garnish molding from the upper center pillar.
- On the coupe, remove the door striker trim by pulling on the trim.
- On the coupe, remove the anchor bolts from the front seat belts.
- n the coupe, remove the seat belt webbing from the front seat head restraint webbing guides.
- Disconnect the electrical harnesses.
- Disengage any rosebud retainers which hold the wiring to the sheet metal.
- Position the front seats in the fully rearward and fully reclined positions.
- Remove the door seals from the headliner edge.
- Starting on the right and the left sides of the sun roof opening, carefully disengage the hook and loop fasteners which hold the headliner to the roof panel.
- Disconnect the sunroof motor wiring harness.
- Lower the headliner.
- On coupe models, remove the trim bezels from the headliner.
- One sedan models, bring the headliner out through the rear passenger side door.
- If equipped, remove the reading lamp.
- Disconnect the motor harness from the sunroof module.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the sunroof motor.
- Remove the sunroof motor bolts from the sunroof module.
Remove the sunroof actuator from the sunroof module.
- Verify that both the sunroof motor/actuator and the sunroof guide mechanisms are in the vent position before you begin the synchronization procedure.
- Plug the motor/actuator into the harness and provide power. Using the vehicle sunroof switch, position it in the vent detent mode only.
- If the sunroof window is in the closed position, remove the sunroof window.
- Verify that the sunroof guide mechanisms are fully forward and in the vent position.
- Install the sunroof motor.
- Install the sunroof window, if necessary.
- Operate the sunroof to verify proper operation.
- Install the sunroof motor/actuator to the sunroof module.
- Install the sunroof motor/actuator bolts and tighten to 50 in. lbs. (5 Nm).
- Connect the electrical connector to the sunroof motor.
- Secure the electrical harness to the sunroof module.
- Verify the sunroof operation
- Install the remaining components in the reverse order of removal
- Use a small, flat-bladed tool in order to disengage the clips located at the front and rear of the switch.
- Rotate the switch down and to the left to remove it.
- Disconnect the connector from the sunroof control switch.
- Remove the sunroof control switch from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.