Diagnosis & Testing
- Check the sunroof for any obstructions that would hinder performance.
- Disconnect the sunroof switch from the harness connector.
- Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
- Probe the accessory voltage circuit of the sunroof switch harness connector with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground.
- The test lamp should illuminate, if not check the accessory voltage circuit of the sunroof switch for a short to ground or an open.
- Connect a test lamp between the accessory voltage circuit and the ground circuit of the sunroof switch harness connector.
- The test lamp should illuminate, if not check for an open circuit in the sunroof switch ground circuit.
- Probe each of the sunroof motor control circuits of the sunroof switch harness connector with a test lamp that is connected to battery positive voltage.
- If the test lamp illuminates at any of the sunroof motor control circuits, there is a short to ground in the sunroof motor control circuit(s).
- Connect the sunroof switch to the harness connector.
- Connect a test lamp between the sunroof motor open control circuit of the sunroof actuator motor harness connector and a good ground.
- Press the sunroof switch to the open position for 3 seconds.
- If the test lamp illuminates, there is an open in the sunroof motor control circuit.
- Connect a test lamp between the sunroof motor open and close control circuits of the sunroof actuator motor harness connector.
- Press the sunroof switch to the close position for 3 seconds
- If the test lamp does not illuminate, replace the switch.
- If the wiring, connectors and switch are all functioning normally and the sunroof is still not functioning, replace the motor.
Do not attempt to repair or alter the head impact energy-absorbing material glued to the headliner or to the garnish trims. If the material is damaged, replace the headliner and/or the garnish trim. Failure to do so could result in personal injury.
Use care when working around the head curtain inflator module. Sharp tools may puncture the curtain airbag. If the head curtain inflator module is damaged in any way, it must be replaced.
If a vehicle is equipped with a head curtain inflator module ensure that the inflator module and tether are undamaged. If tether or curtain airbag are damaged in any way, they must be replaced.
- Disable the SIR.
Remove the coat hooks.
NOTEDo not pull on the edges of the center high-mounted stop lamp cover. Damage to the cover may result.
- Slide your fingers between the cover and the lamp, and carefully pull the cover down.
- Remove the trim panel from the high mount stop lamp by pulling at the clip locations.
- Remove the center high mount stop lamp.
- Remove the garnish molding from the upper lock pillar. Remove the rear push-in retainer.
- Remove the dome lamp.
- Remove the sunshades.
- Remove the sunshade retainers.
- Remove the windshield garnish moldings.
- On the sedan, remove the garnish molding from the upper center pillar.
- On the coupe, remove the door striker trim by pulling on the trim.
- On the coupe, remove the anchor bolts from the front seat belts.
- n the coupe, remove the seat belt webbing from the front seat head restraint webbing guides.
- Disconnect the electrical harnesses.
- Disengage any rosebud retainers which hold the wiring to the sheet metal.
- Position the front seats in the fully rearward and fully reclined positions.
- Remove the door seals from the headliner edge.
- Starting on the right and the left sides of the sun roof opening, carefully disengage the hook and loop fasteners which hold the headliner to the roof panel.
- Disconnect the sunroof motor wiring harness.
- Lower the headliner.
- On coupe models, remove the trim bezels from the headliner.
- One sedan models, bring the headliner out through the rear passenger side door.
- If equipped, remove the reading lamp.
- Disconnect the motor harness from the sunroof module.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the sunroof motor.
- Remove the sunroof motor bolts from the sunroof module.
Remove the sunroof actuator from the sunroof module.
- Verify that both the sunroof motor/actuator and the sunroof guide mechanisms are in the vent position before you begin the synchronization procedure.
- Plug the motor/actuator into the harness and provide power. Using the vehicle sunroof switch, position it in the vent detent mode only.
- If the sunroof window is in the closed position, remove the sunroof window.
- Verify that the sunroof guide mechanisms are fully forward and in the vent position.
- Install the sunroof motor.
- Install the sunroof window, if necessary.
- Operate the sunroof to verify proper operation.
- Install the sunroof motor/actuator to the sunroof module.
- Install the sunroof motor/actuator bolts and tighten to 50 in. lbs. (5 Nm).
- Connect the electrical connector to the sunroof motor.
- Secure the electrical harness to the sunroof module.
- Verify the sunroof operation
- Install the remaining components in the reverse order of removal
- Use a small, flat-bladed tool in order to disengage the clips located at the front and rear of the switch.
- Rotate the switch down and to the left to remove it.
- Disconnect the connector from the sunroof control switch.
- Remove the sunroof control switch from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.