See Figure 1
The battery is normally mounted in front, side of the engine compartment. Most of these vehicles were originally equipped with a maintenance-free type battery that has top or side mounted terminals. For more information regarding battery maintenance, testing or replacement, please refer to General Information & Maintenance of this repair guide.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal, then the positive battery terminal.
- Remove the battery hold-down retainer.
- Note the placement of the positive and negative battery posts.
- Remove the battery from the vehicle.
- Inspect the battery, cables, end terminals and the battery carrier for damage. Repair or replace as needed.
- Place the battery in the carrier with the posts in the correct orientation.
- Attach the battery retainer and tighten.
- Tighten the battery retainer to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm), and the top bar to 96 inch lbs. (11 Nm), if so equipped.
- Clean the battery posts and terminals. Connect the battery cables, positive first then the negative. Tighten the terminals to 120 inch lbs. (14 Nm).
No adjustments are necessary or possible. If the battery is determined to be defective (and does not simply need charging), replace it.