REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the fuel pressure line(s) and return line(s) from the fuel injector(s).
- Remove the fuel injector(s) from the engine.
- Remove the O-rings from the fuel injector(s).
- Using new O-rings, lubricate them in diesel fuel and install them onto the fuel injector(s).
- Install the fuel injector(s) into the engine.
- Using new O-rings, install the fuel pressure line(s) and return line(s) to the fuel injector(s).
See Figures 1 and 2
Remove the injector and install injector tester J-28829 or equivalent. Measure the injector pressure. Pressure should be:
C223 engine-1493 psi (105 kg/cm)
- Using injector tester J-28829 or equivalent, maintain a pressure of 284 psi (20 kg/cm). If there is no leakage, the injector is satisfactory.
- Observe the spray pattern coming from the outlet. It should be a fine uniform spray. If not, clean or replace the injector.
DISASSEMBLY & ASSEMBLY
See Figures 3 and 4
- Remove the injector from the vehicle.
- Place the injector in a vise, clamping the hexagonal portion in the vise. Loosen the retaining nut and remove it.
- Remove the eye bolt, gasket, cap nut and gasket.
- Remove the adjusting screw, nozzle spring and pushrod.
- Remove the inlet connector, gasket and retaining nut.
- Remove the setting screw and nozzle from the holding body.
- Install the nozzle and setting screw.
- Install the inlet connector, gasket and retaining nut.
- Install the adjusting screw, nozzle spring and pushrod.
- Using the injector holder and injector tester, adjust the opening pressure by setting the pressure adjusting screw until the desired pressure is obtained.
- Install the cap nut and tighten to 22-29 inch lbs. (3-4 Nm).
- Assemble the injector and tighten the retaining nut to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).
See Figure 5
Remove the carbon from the outside of the nozzle body with a soft brush. Clean the internal portion of the body with rod J-28826-2 or equivalent. Clean the nozzle seat of the body with cleaning tool J-28826 or equivalent. Clean the injection hole of the body with rod J-28826-4 or equivalent.