The Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor measures the amount of air entering the engine during a given time. The ECM uses the mass airflow information for fuel delivery calculations. A large quantity of air entering the engine indicates an acceleration or high load situation, while a small quantity of air indicates deceleration or idle.
See Figure 1
- Uncover the rubber boot on the sensor side of the harness connector.
- Remove the intake duct from the sensor.
- With a high impedance voltmeter, check for voltage between the white wire and ground while blowing through the sampling tube in the sensor. Voltage should be between 0.5-1.5 volts. If not, replace the sensor.
- Turn the ignition OFF . Install the intake dust and recover the connector with the rubber boot.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 2
- Unplug the connector from the sensor.
- Remove the air intake duct from the sensor.
- Remove the bolts securing the sensor, then remove it from the vehicle.
- To install the sensor, position it in place, then secure it with the mounting bolts. Install the duct and engage the electrical connection.