REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Scribe an alignment mark showing the location of the hinges on the hood.
- Disconnect under hood light harness, if equipped.
- Remove the washer nozzle tubes, if routed through the hood.
- While supporting the hood, remove the hood mounting bolts and lift hood from vehicle.
- Position hood to the hinges and line up scribe line.
- Install and tighten the mounting bolts with moderate torque. DO NOT tighten down all the way.
- Close the hood slowly to check the alignment. DO NOT slam the hood closed. In most cases hood adjustment will be necessary.
- Adjust the hood clearances, if needed.
- After the alignment is satisfactory, tighten the hood hinge bolts to 18-25 ft. lbs. (23-32 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Whenever adjusting a body panel, always adjust in small increments.
- Close the hood and determine whether the panel has to be moved forward, backwards, in or out. Also check to see whether the hood is flush with the front fenders.
- If adjustment is needed, loosen, but do not remove the hinge bolts; 2-3 turns should be enough to the adjust the hinge.
- Once the bolts are loosened, adjust the hood to the desired position, then tighten the bolts. Do not tighten the bolts to specification until the adjustment procedure is complete.
- When the hood adjustment is correct, tighten each bolt to 18-25 ft. lbs. (23-32 Nm).
In some cases, shims will have to be placed between the hinge and the panel to correctly align the left and right clearances. In this case, install 1 shim at a time between the hinge and hood and adjust as outlined.
Be patient when adjusting a panel. This procedure requires a great deal of trail and error to get correct.