REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disassemble tailgate inner panel to gain access to wiring harness. Disconnect and remove the tailgate harness.
- If equipped, remove the bolt, nut and washer that attach the tailgate checker to the frame link. On some trucks, a tailgate cable assembly is used.
- Scribe alignment marks around the edge of the hinges where they attach to the body of the vehicle.
- Using a block of wood and a floor jack, or with an assistant supporting the tailgate, remove the tailgate hinge bolts. Remove the tailgate.
- Clean and lubricate the hinges, hinge bolt holes and checker assembly with grease.
- Align the tailgate and install the hinge bolts.
- Tighten hinge bolts with moderate torque. Do not tighten down all the way.
- Close tailgate slowly to check alignment. DO NOT slam tailgate closed. In most cases tailgate adjustment will be necessary.
- Open tailgate, loosen hinge bolts and adjust so all clearances are even and panel is flush with body. Hold clearance as far as possible.
It may be necessary to loosen tailgate and/or body-side hinge bolts to correctly adjust tailgate. Body shims may be necessary to adjust tailgate or striker with body.
- After alignment is satisfactory, tighten hinge bolts to 18-25 ft. lbs. (23-32 Nm).
- Adjust striker, if needed, by loosening the mounting screws and tapping with a plastic-faced hammer. The striker should be parallel with the dovetail on the latch mechanism; 1-2 shims are needed to control correct engagement of striker with the latch. Torque striker screws to 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Attach any wire harnesses removed earlier, then install the interior panel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.