REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
The Rodeo is the only model covered by this guide which is equipped with a rear hatch.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Open the rear hatch and disconnect the rear defogger and third brake light harnesses.
- Prop the hatch up using a suitable prop rod or have an assistant hold the assembly up.
- Using a small prytool, release the retainers securing the hatch gas stays to the ball studs on the hatch.
- Loosen and remove the retainer nuts securing the collar, wind deflector and hinges in place. Carefully lift the hatch off and place on a clean, flat surface.
- If replacing the entire hatch assembly, Remove the remaining components.
- If installing a replacement hatch, attach the needed components to the hatch, including the latch and gas stays. Remember to install the seals between the glass and component, and tighten the hardware to 4 ft. lbs. (5 Nm).
- With the aid of an assistant, position the hatch to the hinges and secure in place with the retainer nuts. Tighten the hinge bolts with moderate torque. Do not tighten down all the way. Adjust the hatch position.
- Use a small prytool top attach the gas stays to the ball stud on the vehicle pillar.
- Attach the defroster and third brake light harnesses, if equipped.
- Connect the negative battery cable.